Thursday, March 19, 2009

Checking in on Skittles

So I checked out the "Skittles Status Updates"

Wow, I could bitch but they are getting a ton of comments.

Skittles is coming down with a case of march madness.
7:33am · Comment · Like
3,616 people like this.
View 396 comments


Skittles is going to be the guest of honor at Dren's pool party.
Yesterday at 9:13am · Comment · Like
3,650 people like this.
View 1,089 comments


Skittles is green with envy.
Tue 9:25am · Comment · Like
9,040 people like this.
View 1,028 comments


Skittles was once rescued by a Narwhal after falling into the deep end.
Mon 2:59pm · Comment · Like
3,154 people like this.
View 314 comments


Skittles calls shotgun on the space shuttle.
Mon 7:39am · Comment · Like
772 people like this.
View 120 comments


Skittles shouldn't chew and update at the same time.
March 12 at 8:44am · Comment · Like
128 people like this.
View 57 comments


Skittles is jetpacking to the islands for lunch.
March 11 at 12:08pm · Comment · Like
16 people like this.
View 25 more comments

ReportAnne Huynh at 8:01pm March 12
Hey. I can be mean to skittles if i want too so back off =P

ReportEmily Koiner at 12:41pm March 15
well geez, ur the one who joined soo, its kinda ur fault


Skittles is half country, half hip-hop and half rock & roll.
March 11 at 5:47am · Comment · Like
45 people like this.
View 25 more comments

ReportRachel Morton at 8:23pm March 11
Four halves? Electrotechnisoulspunk, country, country, hiphop, and what is the other one?

ReportRachel Morton at 8:26pm March 11
Well they help
Me focus, so that means their perfect! And If it's four half then it's 400 percent perfect times infinity! You rock!


Skittles isn't sure what that was, but it definitely didn't taste like rainbow.


What exactly are the points of these posts? I have no idea. they do have that crypto-twitter feel. A sense of WTF is going on over there. And they are getting a whole lot of comments, so I guess I can't argue. I do wonder why there is no @skittles, ok so I just found out it apparently belongs to someones fucking Cat. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I love it, I want to DM @skittles and ask if they have been getting a bunch of friend requests.

If the goal of the skittles page is to get brand awareness and just stay in peoples minds this must be working. 1,000 comments on the post "Skittles is the guest of honor at Dren's pool party" is good. However I have to wonder how long they can keep this up. The benefit to having my friends do cryptowitters is that my mind is realing with what's really going on.

When my friend posts "fuck the zombie apocolypse just grabbed me by the balls" I think holy shit what has that asshole gotten himself into? It's usually something banal like they are playing left4dead but hopefully one day zombies will really eat that guy, he is a fucknut.

anyways I digress, if they are getting 1,000 comments on these posts then good for them. @skittles the cat doesn't even have 5 followers. But again how do we measure the ROI on this social media campaign? when they get 1,000 comments for "Skittles calls shotgun on the spacestation" does sales go up?

I attended the Mad Men Twitter Panel at SXSW and there twitters were the same cryptowitters but they were attached to charachters we knew and understood beautifully realized charachters from the TV show which gives so much weight to Betty Draper twittering "tying my apron strings".

What is the Skittles charachter? what is that voice? how long can it just be this bizzare weirdness? Also, since to me this feels like a pretty generic feed, what will happen as more brands jump on the bandwagon?  What is it about this feed that will separate it from all the others?

No comments:

Post a Comment