Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Love this post

Love this Newsweek Post on quitting facebook. I think that the author is a bit tough on Facebook. However she does bring up a couple of realy good points in the failings of social media to engender meaningful relationships.

My favorite quote "being on Facebook is like volunteering to receive spam, and the more successful you are at finding friends, the more spam you get!"

I love to hate on social media but the truth is these are new tools engendering new interactions. They aren't replacing old ones and as they evolve we will learn ways to create different kinds of relationships. My real issue is when Social Media gets in the way of engaging people in real life. 

I am questioning now what exactly that new Interaction is supposed to be? When Facebook and Myspace started they were ways to connect in small groups as our social graphs expand (something anyone who works in social marketing is aware happens at an exponential rate). I now have so many friends my news feed no longer has the sense of intimacy it once did.

Going on to my Facebook newsfeed used to make me feel more connected to people that I engaged with afterwork people that I shared my outside life with. Now more an more it's a place for my work relationships. It's no longer a respite from work it's a place I do work.

It's interesting to compare the friends page of a non social marketing freind with that of a social marketing friend they are two completely different places. I wonder if all of us in the social marketing fields have spun ourselves cocoons that no longer reflect the reality of social media for those we are trying to reach.

Like Steve Tuttle is writing in his post, he doesn't "get it". Unlike those of us in the industry who all sing the praises daily and relish in every aspect, however for writers like steve who aren't in our field the whole thing looks bewilderingly inane.

No comments:

Post a Comment